Wednesday, February 13, 2008

2/13

The fistula problem Myra was having last Friday seemed to work itself out. Doctors let the area breath and rest a bit over the weekend. They re-inserted the fistula Monday and had a successful dialysis.

The removal of the fistula did irritate the area a bit so she was medicated with Vicadin over the weekend and was a bit foggy and slept most of the weekend.

Myra's Bethesda doctors and nurses met with her, Curt & Dusty today to discuss a plan for Myra to go home. They mentioned transitioning from Bethesda to a nursing home for further recovery. Once she transitions out of Bethesda, she will resume dialyisis as an outpatient in Forest Lake, which is what she has been doing since February of '07 up until she entered the hospital in November.

Myra has a list of goals she'll need to achieve before going home is an option. These goals could take weeks for Myra to accomplish, but it's encouraging for the family to hear that going home is an option!

The goals that the doctors presented to Myra today act as a dangling carrot for Myra. Going home depends on several things. One goal being that Myra gains enough strength to get out of bed and walk on her own. She still is not able to get up out of bed on her own, so she needs to gain lots of strength back (from being in a bed for 2 1/2 months).

We'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Hi Myra and Family-This sounds like great news!! I know you can do it Myra, you are one of the stongest women I have ever known. Getting your strenght back will take time, but again, you can do it and will do it!!

I am still in Jacksonville, FL, leaving late Friday night. I think I could live here, it is so nice and clean and green here. Everyone is extemely friendly, especially the 30 some guys staying at the same place that I am. My single friend Rose would love it!!

Hang in there, keep working hard and I will call you Saturday. I would love to come and spend some time with you. Miss you and I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Thanks so much for keeping us updated with this blog.

Robin